Tagging does seem to be an elusive art but with a little thought and creativity it can be one of the most useful tools for driving traffic to your shop! I have compiled a few tips that you may find helpful when you are tagging your items on Etsy.
After you have tagged your items appropriately in the main categories and subcategories, you can move on to the more descriptive tagging. Some tips to consider.....
- Be Honest- (Not only important in life but essential in tagging too!) Tag your items as relevantly as you can. Customers are looking for an item specific to their search and can be easily frustrated with mistagged items. If they are looking for a sweater and find your jewelry tagged as such, they are no more inclined to look at your shop. This is also against Etsy policy. :( Not clear on etsy policy? Check in here under "tagging".
- Make sure to use ALL the 14 tags! - Each tag is a little path to your shop so don't waste them! The more tags, the greater the chance people will see your shop and the items you offer.
- Get creative! - Etsy has some awesome suggestions on tagging. Read that here to get the juices flowing. Go ahead and use the thesaurus if you run out of ideas, just don't leave a tag blank!
- How would you search?- Think about how you would search for an item like yours. What keywords would you use to locate an item?
Using Descriptive Colors - bright red, aqua, beige, mauve, maroon, chartreuse, forest green, brown
Using Temperature- hot, cool, fiery, warm, frosty, cold
Using Texture- velvety, soft, feathery, rough, silky, luminous, cloudy, clear
Using Moods- dreary, lonely, happy, fierce, bold, dark, humorous
Using Styles- bohemian, goth, edwardian, mod, hipster, elegant, chic, etc.......!
You can even use your shop name in there or special promotion you might be having (BOGO, Free gift, etc.) The choices are limitless!
- Still need more ideas?- Check out www.craftweasel.com. Craftweasel's Tagfinder a great tool to help you tag your items, generate graphs of popular tags, item views and more!
The added perk of descriptive tags is that is greatly enhances your chance of landing treasuries too! Sellers often search for a cohesive style, color, or mood for treasuries. So tag, your it!